NYS P-12 Common Core
The Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) and the National Governors Association (NGA), with participation of the overwhelming majority of states, set a goal to create standards that are “research and evidence-based, aligned with college and work expectations, include rigorous content and skills and are internationally benchmarked.”
The New York State Board of Regents adopted the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for Mathematics and for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects, with the understanding that New York State may add additional expectations to the Common Core. New combined standards will be introduced in the spring of 2011 and will be implemented in New York State schools beginning with the 2012-2013 school year.
Update: On January 10th, 2011, the Board of Regents approved the recommended additions to the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts & Literacy and Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, plus a new set of Prekindergarten Standards.
The NYS P-12 Common Core Standards:
NYLearns working with Common Core
In an effort to save New York State (NYS) school districts both time and money, we undertook the significant work of creating a model curricula based on the NYS P-12 Common Core Standards. Authored by NYS curriculum and instruction experts, this English Language Arts and Mathematics curriculum is comprehensive and meets the needs of all teachers from Pre-Kindergarten to High School. These curriculum maps should be used by districts across NYS as a foundation to guide the construction of their own curricula based on the NYS P-12 Common Core Standards.
Within the NYLearns system, districts can copy this entire body of work to their own district account and then endlessly customize the maps to reflect their local curriculum needs. This allows all districts to leverage a year’s worth of curriculum work and thus save a considerable amount of their own limited resources as they advance a curriculum initiative. Accessing this body of work will be extremely helpful for NYS districts as they create their own standards-based curricula.
Additional facts regarding this standards-based curriculum:
The learning progressions for the curriculum maps are quarterly based on the 10 week increments of the school year. As such, there are four maps per subject area and grade level or high school course.
- Standards – Includes of all identified NYS P-12 Common Core Standards
- Essential Questions – Contains key concepts or understands that set the focus for classroom instruction
- Content – Identifies what students should know
- Skills – Explains what students should be able to do
- Instructional Resources – Lists materials and resources that support instruction including, but not limited to: lesson plans, teacher resources, web-based manipulatives, videos, interactive documents, suggested texts, etc.
- Assessment – Provides sample assessment ideas including both formative and benchmark assessments
All the curriculum maps use the following template:
Here are some samples of our work:
- NYS P-12 Common Core ELA Grade 3 – Quarter 2
- NYS P-12 Common Core ELA Grade 5 – Quarter 1
- NYS P-12 Common Core ELA Grade 10 – Quarter 2
- NYS P-12 Common Core Math Grade 2 – Quarter 4
- NYS P-12 Common Core Math Grade 6 – Quarter 1
- NYS K–12 Common Core Social Studies Grade 11 – United States History and Government - Key Idea 4: "Post-Civil War Era (1865 - 1900)"
|English Language Arts||Mathematics|
|ELA Grades PreK-2||Mathematics Grades PreK-2|
|ELA Grades 3-5||Mathematics Grades 3-5|
|ELA Grades 6-8||Mathematics Grades 6-8|
|ELA Grades 9-12||Mathematics Grades 9-12|
Important NYS P-12 Common Core Standards Documents and Resources:
- Common Core Instructional Shifts
- Common Core Implementation Timeline
- Tri-State/EQuIP Quality Review Rubric and Rating Process
- Common Core and NYS Learning Standards Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Parents’ Guide to Student Success
Other Supplementary Materials and Resources:
- Common Core State Standards (CCSS) website
- Achieve, Inc. "Understanding the Common Core" PowerPoint
- Achieve, Inc. "Understanding the K-12 Common Core State Standards in Mathematics"
- Achieve, Inc. "Understanding the K-12 Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects"