Adding Three Addends by ECSDM
Math, Science & Technology
Elementary, 2nd Grade
This is a lesson designed to introduce and/or reinforce adding three addends together. This is a hands-on lesson that will engage students in math! There is a fun practice game and online quiz to do at the end!
- Students will be able to solve addition problems containing three addends.
- Students will be able to understand vocabulary associated with addition.
- Students will be able to complete the online quiz with at least 90% accuracy.
- Open the SMART Notebook file "adding three addends."
- Review addition vocabulary, such as "adding," "sum," and "addend."
- Motivate the children in telling them that they will become really smart today! They won't just be adding two addends, they will be adding THREE!
- Follow the directions from slide 2 to slide 4. Make sure the children are coming up to the SMART Board and moving the boxes.
- As children are moving the boxes around, make sure you are reinforcing and reminding them of past steps.
- Try it out with them! Create number sentences using their bodies.
- For example, have two children stand together in one group, have another 3 children stand together in another group, and finally, have six more students stand together in the last group. Write the number sentence on the board so the children can see it written horizontally (2 + 3 + 6 = ) Have the group of two and the group of three stand together and add them to find the sum. Write "5" under 2 + 3 on the board and bring down the + 6 =, so you have 5 + 6 = . Now, have the five students stand with the remaining six and add them together to find the sum. Write "11" after the equals sign and say "2 + 3 + 6 = 11."
- Do several problems like this using the children as addends.
- Return to Slide 4 of the SMART Notebook file on the SMART Board.
- Click the green arrow and go to the dice game.
- Have children come up and tap each of the three die so it rolls. Have them complete the problem using the steps they have just learned.
- When everyone has had a chance, click the green arrow on the bottom of the dice game page.
- Take the online quiz on adding three addends.
This lesson will be assessed by teacher observation and the results of the online quiz. The online quiz keeps track of the students score.