Poe's Vocabulary in "The Bells"
English Language Arts (2005)
Intermediate, Commencement, 7th Grade, 8th Grade, 9th Grade, 10th Grade, 11th Grade, 12th Grade
Students will apply the correct definition of the vocabulary word utilized in Poe's poetry to further enhance comprehension.
20 minutes or less
How can words be understood from context?
Language and Vocabulary In Poe’s poem ‘The Bells’
Use a dictionary to look up the CAPITALIZED words and write a definition. The words are given in the poem's format so students should try to understand the meaning of the word by applying it in context.
- Hear the SLEDGES with the bells
- In a sort of RUNIC rhyme
- the MOLTEN-golden notes
- a DITTY floats
- a gush of EUPHONY
- BRAZEN bells
- they scream out their AFFRIGHT
- in a mad EXPOSTULATION
- a RESOLUTE endeavor
- on the BOSOM of the PALPITATING air
- solemn thought their MONODY compels
- the MELANCHOLY meaning of the tone
- they are GHOULS
- a PAEAN from the bells
- Keeping time as he KNELLS