Carbohydrates, Proteins, and Fats by ECSDM
Health, Physical Education, Health, Physical Education, and Family and Consumer Sciences
Commencement, 10th Grade, 11th Grade, 12th Grade
- Describe the three nutrients that supply the body with energy.
- Identify what food sources these three nutrients are found in.
One class period, 43 minutes
This lesson will explore the ways in which carbohydrates, fats and proteins affect the body.
Health and Parenting
- Students will read the handout provided on Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fats.
- Students will answer questions written on the board:
- List the three nutrients that supply energy to the body.
- What are simple carbohydrates?
- What are complex carbohydrates?
- List two sources of protein.
- Name two fats - one unsaturated and one saturated.
- The teacher will review questions written on the board. The teacher will ask individual students why Carbohydrates, Proteins, and Fats are important to the body.
- Using the Carbs, Proteins & Fats.notebook file, the teacher will have students fill in the Carbohydrates concept map (page 1) and review.
- Using the SMART Notebook file, the teacher will have students fill in the Unsaturated vs. Saturated Fats Venn Diagram (page 2) and review.
- Students will watch interactive video "A Balanced Diet" (page 3) from the SMART Notebook file. A few different students will be selected to come up and answer video test questions using the SMART Board.
- The culminating activity will be the Sorting Activity (page 4) using the SMART Notebook file.
Students will write a "ticket" out of the classroom. It must consist of at least 3 sentences. One about the importance of each nutrient discussed.
The teacher will provide an opportunities to have students read, write and visually learn the information by using the SMART Board.
They will be also able to read the accompanying chapter in the textbook. For those with learning disabilities there is a adapted reading guide.
Technology Tools and other Materials