Pythagorean Theorem by ECSDM
Math, Science & Technology
Intermediate, 7th Grade, 8th Grade
Students will be able to:
- Identify the right angle, hypotenuse and legs of a right triangle.
- Explore the relationship between the lengths of the three sides of a right triangle using the area formulas of squares in a hands-on activity using manipulatives.
- Use the Pythagorean Theorem to determine the unknown length of a hypotenuse of a right triangle by completing the homework assignment.
2 (40-minute) class periods
In this lesson students will discover the Pythagorean Theorem. Students will also use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve real life problems.
PBS-Pythagorean Puzzle ~ Shockwave Version
- SMART Board
- Internet-connected computer
- As students enter the classroom, have them begin the "Question of the Day" activity.
- Distribute the worksheet titled "Pythagorean Theorem Investigation #1".
Ask the students to:
- Locate the right triangle and state the measurement of the legs.
- Find the area of each leg.
- Discover the length of the hypotenuse by cutting out the areas of the two legs.
- Observe this discovery lesson on the PBS-Pythagorean Puzzle website (Shockwave version).
- Provide the students with examples where the student will find the hypotenuse given the measurement of right triangles, using the "Right Triangle Problems #1" worksheet.
- Use the website to show real-life situations involving a baseball field and ladders leaning on a house
- Assign the "Pythagorean Theorem Worksheet #1" as homework.
This instructional content was intended for use with a SMART Board. The .xbk file above can only be opened with SMART Notebook software. To download this free software from the SMART Technologies website, please click here.