Ocean Animals/ESL/Science by ECSDM
English Language Arts (NYS P-12 Common Core)
Elementary, Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, 1st Grade
Around forty-five minutes
Students will learn basic vocabulary related to the ocean.
Students will identify ocean animals and their names.
- Computer, projector and SMART Board
- Student copies of the SMART Board presentation
- Crayons and pencils
- Little Book on Ocean Animals printed from Enchanted Learning Website; one copy per student. (See link in Web Site section below)
- To find the book, once you are on the Enchanted Learning web page, click on "Books to Print," then select the "Ocean" category. Scroll down and you will see a selection of books. Print the book of your choice and copy.
- Teacher will read and provide books for students about the ocean. Suggested books include: Swimming with Dolphins by Lambert Davis, Fish Faces by Norbert Wu, Swimmy by Leo Lioni and Splash in the Ocean by Mik Zepol.
- Teacher will show some ocean animal pictures on the SMART Board (use attached SMART Notebook file).
- Teacher will have a picture of the ocean with a group of animals, and the students will pick one from the ocean, name it, and put it into the ocean.
- Students will volunteer to participate at the SMART Board to identify an animal named by the teacher.
- Students will make a book about ocean animals using the book the teacher printed and copied.
- Collaborative Work Skills: Ocean Animal Project (Rubric attached)
- Teacher will walk around to see if students are able to identify the animals by name.
- Teacher will be assessing the students as they participate in the activities.
ESL students will be able to learn about ocean animals with a linguistic and non-linguistic representation. This lesson will provide a way for ESL students to understand the meaning of the term that is not dependent on an understanding of the English language. ESL students might not benefit very much from verbal explanations. When non-linguistic representations, such as pictures, videos, or slide shows are used in the lesson, they help ESL students understand and make connections.
Ocean Animals Rubric.doc